Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I will admit that when I am the customer I have expectations of good customer service. One of my biggest soapbox issues is getting my name correct. I don't really want to be called by my name when I'm checking out at Wal-Mart or I'm at the bank; after all, the clerk doesn't know me, and we are not friends. But apparently some marketing guru somewhere thought it would be a good idea to call customers by name even if you don't know them. I understand trouble with my last name, but I get really tired of being called Rhonda.

Saturday I was very impressed that everyone called me Rhoda--from the intake clerk, to the business clerk (who got my co-pay before treatment), to the nurse, to the CSA, to the PA. It really made me realize they were looking closely at the chart and trying to make me feel human and not just another chart going through the ER.

So while I will talk to a manager if I get poor service, I also compliment good service. I called the hospital yesterday to let them know how pleased I was with the service on Saturday. The lady who answered the phone wasn't sure who to connect me to when I said I wanted to tell someone about a good experience in the ER. I ended up getting voice mail, and the hospital employee called me this morning. He wanted to let me know he got the message and said that they get calls when people are complaining so a complimentary call is really nice for them.

Now if only the bank would pay attention to my name. After all, if they mess up on a name, how are they messing up the amount on a deposit slip as well???

No comments: