Monday, July 14, 2008

Cherries

Saturday Renae and I picked 30 lbs of tart cherries and then went to her house to process them. Tart cherries don't last long, hence they are not sold in stores. Once they are pitted they juice very quickly. I made almost 32 half-pints of jam, and Renae made two cherry pies. We are also enjoying the juice, and we have 3-4 bags of frozen cherries to make cherry sauce for pancakes or more pie this winter. Saying "this winter" makes me feel so Little House on the Prairie-ish.
Picking cherries and blueberries is one of the things I like about living in Michigan.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That pie looks wunderbar--and so does the jam. Too bad AL and MI are so far apart! MLK

Ann said...

That's a lot of jam!!! Looks good (as does the pie). I might try some blueberry-bing cherry-peach later this week. Does that sound like a good or a ??? combination?

Anonymous said...

It definitely sounds interesting! I'm not a big blueberry jam fan. Let me know how it turns out. About as ambitious as I've done is cherry raspberry.