Friday, July 18, 2008

This morning I realized how agriculture in the muck farms of Hudsonville, Michigan’s Salad Bowl City, is different from other places. The obvious is the crop difference; everywhere else there’s corn and beans, but these fields have celery, onions, beets, radishes, etc.

This morning I saw workers harvesting celery. One person drives a tractor pulling a machine that cuts the celery and another drives a truck along side it for the celery to shoot into. About 20 yards off to where the celery had been cut was another lowriding “tractor” in which two people sat and were already planting the next crop of celery. I’ve been told in some years, they’ve been able to get in three crops of celery although I think two is typical.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I would love to have raspberry bushes in the back yard. There's a place nearby where you can pick them, but it costs a good bit. I do go and get a few every year though.