Monday, December 8, 2008

Job Cuts

Last month my company announced job cuts. They offered a very nice package for anyone willing to take a voluntary separation. It’s worked well for people who are nearing retirement anyway, but it really wasn’t worth it for someone (me) whose been with the company only four years.

Tomorrow is the last day for those who were granted the voluntary separation. By the end of the week the additional 150-200 people who will be terminated will be notified. Speculation is Wednesday and Thursday for that.

Many people have asked me what it’s like at work these weeks. The mood is happy for those who opted for the voluntary separation but also ominous as we all know that some we know will be let go. It’s kind of funny the “signs” people look for—getting invited to a meeting for next week or not getting copied in on an e-mail for something next week or later.

My building will be shutting down in mid-February so all departments will be moving to different locations. (That adds to the sadness as people we enjoy working around will be in different buildings after the first of the year.) My department manager has designated me as the department contact for the move. I think/hope that’s a good sign I’ll be here for the move.

No comments: