Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day 2009

What a great day to be an American! Before our eyes we saw what Jefferson called “A Peaceful Revolution”.

Just some quick thoughts.

It’s amazing to think of a black President only 40 years after MLK’s I Have A Dream speech. I really can’t fathom how important that is to so many people in our country.

News networks couldn’t keep a streamlined feed to the internet. I never could get Fox’s feed, and I don’t know how many times I heard or saw the Audi commercial on ABC because the feed kept stopping and I’d have to restart.

I love the pageantry of an inauguration.

About 50 people (probably all that are left) in my building gathered around a tv to watch the inauguration. It was interesting to see who clapped when the tv station displayed a message just after noon that Obama was president based on time not on an oath.

I thought Rick Warren had a great prayer. I think Lowery’s prayer was divisive.

For some reason I always like to the outgoing President’s plane leave Andrews AFB and fly off into the wild blue yonder.

It is even more interesting to watch all of the proceedings and see the maps of inauguration events and know that I walked all of that just two years ago. As Renae said, “Walked it over and over and over.”

I must say the idea of being there with the masses of people and tens of thousands of port-a-johns just doesn’t do much for me. I think I like going as a tourist when there aren’t so many people is more appealing. I mean it wouldn’t be bad if there was a driver that took you from the White House to the Capitol door, a seat was reserved on the platform, and you could walk right into the Capitol for a nice lunch after the inauguration, but that’s just not going to happen for me.

No comments: