Monday, April 20, 2009

God's Art

A missionary who is training teacher's in Christian education in Togo, West Africa included this in her weekly e-mail I receive:

She's been teaching them elements of art: line, color, texture, value, shape, and space. These are basic things that we all grow up knowing because of art in school and other influences. But imagine these teachers for the first time seeing how God uses texture in the nature all around them. The teachers did rubbings on things just in the classroom and around my yard. Imagine looking for the first time at all the variety of colors and shapes God used. One of the reasons for Christian education is to know God better. And this week we certainly have been able to see God better in the variety of nature all around us. I hope you'll take some time to see God the Artist this week and appreciate him better.

It reminded me of a line in a movie from the Janette Oke series (yes, I watch Hallmark Movie Channel) that says something like this, "Riding through the prairie makes me feel as if I'm in the middle of God's painting."

Because I usually live in flatter areas, I am struck with awe at the beauty of mountains. I loved to drive just north of Knoxville on I-75 through the mountains.

So where do you feel in the middle of God's painting?

No comments: