Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Soup's on

While living in Ohio I read a column in the local paper called The Amish Cook. It is written by an old order Amish lady who took over the column when her mother died. Each week she talks about what the family did that week and then gives a recipe. A friend in Xenia and I would laugh at some of the things she talked about, but I've found several good recipes over the 7 or 8 years I've read the column. I now read the column on-line at a Traverse City newspaper's website. The column appears every Monday.

This is a recipe I tried on Friday when my parents came to visit. We all liked it although my Dad thought a little bacon would add a little kick to it.

Let me know if you try it and how you like it.

Asparagus-Potato Soup
1&3/4 c. chicken broth
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/3 c. chopped onion
1 t. salt
1&1/2 c. milk
2 T. all-purpose flour
1 c. Velveeta or Colby cheese (cubed or sliced)
Combine the broth, potatoes, asparagus, onion and salt in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Whisk the milk and flour together well in a small bowl and whisk into the broth mixture. Stir in the cheese until melted. Pour into warmed soup bowls and serve immediately.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Did the asparagus not cook a lot faster than the potatoes?

Rhoda said...

The asparagus does cook down a lot so there really aren't a lot of chunks of it.