Saturday, June 6, 2009

New Tool at Work

I rarely used a calculator at work until I started this last job almost 5 years ago. (That’s an entirely different post!) Now I use a printing calculator daily. When I started I inherited the calculator that was on my desk. Over the last few weeks I was getting wrong results—numbers were entered the same and correctly but I’d get different results. Typically I total checks and other things twice to confirm the total but I’ve been getting the same result twice only to find out it was the wrong result twice.

Last week I ordered a new calculator. It sounded as if I was using a machine gun whenever I punched in a number so that one had to go back. I ordered a replacement that is the same model as several others in the department got when they needed new printing calculators.

So now the power button is on the top left of the keyboard rather than on the right side of the machine.
The total button is where the CE button was on the old one.
The old one had a function that automatically placed a decimal two places into the right of the number. If this one has that function I haven’t found it so I must type the decimal.
The old one had the tape a bit elevated so I could see the final number on the tape as well as the display. Now I have to pull the calculator all the way to the edge of my desk and bend over it to see the last number on the tape.

These are all changes that I’m having to get used to. It’s funny that I don’t really mind getting used to changes in a new car but not so much a printing calculator.

I think there is a spiritual application to this, but right now I’ve got nothing.

Was there a new thing you used that took you a long time to get used to the changes?

No comments: