Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Sampling of My Great Books

Several weeks ago my sister posted on her blog 15 books that have impacted her life. Below is my list of 10 that I’ve re-read or are books that I have made me think at different stages in my life.

One Saint and Seven Sinners I first read this one summer at my Aunt Louis and Aunt Hulda's home when I was in jr. high. I laughed and laughed our loud and remember them laughing at my laughing. I read it every time I visited them for several year, and when I wanted to take the book home my Aunt Louise said I had to leave it so I had something to look forward to when I visited.

God is no Stranger, a book of prayers by Haitian Christians. I think Ann Wagler gave this to me in the mid 80s. Very simple but profound thoughts of God's daily care.

Decision Making and the Will of God recommended by missionary friends in the Dominican Republic

My Grandfather’s Son by Clarence Thomas

The Friendship of Women by Dee Brestin, read numerous times, used the chapter on Ruth for a women’s Bible study, and gave as a gift to my mom, sisters and sister-in-law on Christmas

Anne of Green Gables series

Little House on the Prairie series, checked out over and over from the old Wheeler Basin library that was an old WWII quonset hut. One day the librarian wouldn’t let me check one of the books out because I wasn’t old enough for that section; she thought I needed to be in the picture book section apparently, but Mary stood up for me and told her that I was a good reader and I’d read others in the series so the librarian let me check it out.

The Grace Awakening by Chuck Swindoll

David by Chuck Swindoll—love the pages about David and Mephibosheth and the picture of grace describing what Mephibosheth's life in the palace with the king would be like:
Picture what life would be like in the years to come at the supper table with David. The meal is fixed and the dinner bell rings and along come the members of the family and their guests. Amnon, clever and witty, comes to the table first. Then there's Joab, one of the guests--muscular, masculine, attractive, his skin bronzed from the sun, walking tall and erect like an experienced soldier. Next comes Absalom. Talk about handsome! From the crown of his head to the soles of his feet there is not a blemish on him. Then there is Tamar--beautiful, tenderdaughter of David. And, later on, one could add Solomon as well. He's been in the study all day, but he finally slips away from his work and makes his way to the table. But then they hear this clump, clump, clump, clump, and here comes Mephibosheth, hobbling along. He smiles and humbly joins the others as he takes his place at the table as one of the king's sons. And the tablecloth of grace covers his feet. Oh, what a scene!

Margin by Richard Swenson—required supplemental text for a class I teach. It’s helped me learn to say No and keep a margin around my plate of life so if I add an activity I need to drop another one. What is most important in my life to do?

I realize I'm not a big reader of the classics and tell myself I want to, but I find it hard to get through them. It took me a long time to get through Pride and Prejudice and a re-reading of Little Women. I did find East of Eden somewhat interesting last summer. I also haven't read C.S. Lewis which is probably considered atrocious for a Christian, but he is on my list to read. I also read all of John Grisham, but the only one I would say was really impacting was his only non-fiction book The Innocent Man because it makes you step back and think "Wow, this really happened."

So what is a book I really, really need to read?

2 comments:

Ann said...

MARGIN sounds good. I think I'll read it.

LITTLE WOMEN was easy for me, but I couldn't ever get through P&P either - the book could never top the video!

I'll have to think on what book you just have to read. :-)

MLK said...

I loved reading about the list of books you read. Read a quote long ago: "Let me spend a few minutes among someone's books to have insight into their character." So you can see why I'm proud of your reading choices. Your mother