Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Library Fine

Before leaving on vacation I checked out three books at the library. I kept them the three allotted weeks returning two and re-checking one on a Thursday. When I returned the third book and checked out a book on CD I was told I had a fine on two of the books one of which I just returned. I apparently had checked them out on a Tuesday instead of a Thursday.

I told the librarian that I had actually checked out a third book so I needed to have a fine for that one as well. Now I knew my fine wasn’t going to fund any great purchases for the library, but I messed up so I wanted to make it right. She looked through the system and couldn’t find a record of my having checked out that book. She not only didn’t charge me a fine for that book she took off the fine on the other books as well even though I had my money out to pay for it.

I had two thoughts as I walked out:
1) Honesty pays as she deleted the other fines when I was honest about the other book.
2) Lady, if someone wants to pay a fine—take the money. How many people try to dodge the fine no matter how small.

No comments: