Saturday, October 3, 2009

Movie Suggestion

Last night I watched "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas". It's a 2008 movie about a Nazi soldier's son who befriends a Jewish boy in a concentration camp. The movie was a bit slow, but very, very powerful. It brought the horrors of the Holocaust without being gruesome. My mother talks of being from the Pollyanna era, and I judge things based on if she would/could watch it. The fact is the Holocaust was horrific, but there not objectionable elements to this film. Junior high and older kids should see this.

4 comments:

marym said...

I watched that movie on our way home from the Philippines when we had been upgraded to business class and we got to relax in some fabulous seats. But we started descending at the end of the movie and they turned the sound off so I had to watch the end with no sound. It wasn't hard to figure out what happened. Ever since I read "The Upstairs Room" in 7th grade I have been fascinated with the Holocaust. Recently read "Return to the Hiding Place" by one of the people Corrie ten Boom hid.

Jayne, from bells said...

I read the book. It's excellent. Did the movie build the tension between the boy and his father like the book did?

rk2 said...

MaryM--There wasn't a lot of dialogue at the end anyway.

Jayne, from bells--the father was just distant. There was much more tension between the father and mother.

I haven't read the book.

And why are you on-line at 6:43 a.m. on a Sunday???

Ann said...

I'll have to look for that one.