Monday, February 8, 2010

Miscellaneous Ramblings

1. Had a great weekend helping a group from my church cook at Camp Ao-wa-kiya. It reminded me of college and spending the weekends at The Wilds working in the office, the craft shop, or the snack shop. Those were great times to get away from school, and this was a great time to get away as well. I enjoyed reading at a picnic table overlooking the lake and a walk on the beach at Lake Michigan.

2. I've been enjoying my Kindle, an electronic reading device. This weekend I read from four different books because of the Kindle. There is no way I'd have been able to take four books and the other stuff I needed.

3. This weekend besides my ESV Bible on the Kindle, I was reading The Family by Jeff Sharlet. I've wanted to read the book since reading an interview with the author at a blog I read occasionally. It's about the religious organization behind the National Prayer Breakfast, and it's actually quite scary. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and wonder if this is a left wing conspiracy theorist in the opposite vein of the right wing conspiracy theorists who insist Obama isn't a US citizen.

4. I'm also enjoying Spurgeon's Morning by Morning devotionals on my Kindle. Thought provoking reads that are challenging but not impossible to wade through. Then I flip over the Bible on the Kindle and read more of the passage from the thought.

5. I was disappointed that the Colts lost last night, but if they were going to lose, I'm glad they lost to a feel-good story. I do think a Super Bowl party should have two rooms--one for those who want to watch the game, and one for those who want to talk. And I wouldn't be in the room that wanted to talk about anything other than the game.

6. Last week ago I was caulking a shower for my parents. I'd rather be doing that than discussing how to clean up my departments I:\ drive today!

7. Tomorrow is Renae's birthday so for the next 8 months I can remind her how much older she is than I am because her actual numeric age is greater than mine.

8. I'm very proud of one of my nephews. He has made US and Haitian flags out of safety pins and beads with his parents help and sells them at his school's basketball games to raise money his school then sends to Haiti. At the time of the school's newsletter he has already raised $685!

9. I don't understand the hype over the Tim Tebow Super Bowl commercial. How is it offensive? Although I did just read that a woman's group is saying it promotes domestic violence!!!

No comments: