Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Childhood Food

"You just made ghoulash recently, didn't you? How do you make it?" That's what Renae asked me recently. I kind of laughed because the "ghoulash" we grew up with wasn't really ghoulash I'm pretty sure. I love our ghoulash because it's what I grew up with, and I make it somewhat regularly since it's easy to make.

Brown some hamburger (onion and salt), cook elbow macaroni, combine the two and heat with tomato juice.

Renae remembers ghoulash with corn, carrots, and peppers in it, but that's not my childhood ghoulash.

I also remember when I found out potato soup really isn't leftover mashed potatoes heated up with milk to make it runnier and throwing in some Velveeta chunks. However, I still get hungry for "potato soup".

3 comments:

Heather said...

That's exactly how I make ghoulash! Learned it from my mom -- must be the southern recipe. :)

MLK said...

RKK, YOUR DAD STILL LOVES OUR EASY VERSION OF GOULASH AND I TRY TO MAKE IT FOR HIM OCCASIONALLY. I ATE SO MUCH OF IT DURING THE CHILDHOOD DAYS OF OUR OFFSPRING THAT IT NO LONGER HAS ANY APPEAL; IT HAS BECOME PERHAPS MY LEAST FAVORITE DISH TO EAT OR PREPARE.

rk2 said...

"Our" ghoulash and applesauce is the very best!!! Dad can come anytime and I'll make it for him.