Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Trip to SC

Today I'm back to reality after my "mission trip" to SC to help my parents get settled. I can say that because my dad said it first!

A few pictures from the drive back. Renae and I visited "My Old Kentucky Home" State Park to tour the house Stephen Foster wrote about in his song that became the KY state song, the Abe Lincoln Childhood Home and Birthplace (the birthplace had a good film but if you want to learn about Lincoln go to Springfield, IL), and Churchill Downs.

I'm not a big horse person or racing fan, but it was interesting to see the place I watch once a year and understand a bit more about it. I will say the tour guides are very serious about the Derby and the horses. One cried through the new Secretariat movie so she had to go back again. She almost cried talking about the size of his heart. Another tour guide couldn't think of anything else the rest of the day 2 years ago when Eight Belles finished in second and then broke both front ankles and had to be euthanized on the track. The first one cried and cried the day they had to put down Barbaro.

We found it interesting how outdated and rough the jockey quarters are, but the jockeys are so superstitious that they don't want anything changed.

Jockeys dressing room:
Renae riding a racing game:
 The track from millionaire's row:
 The winner's circle used only for the Derby:
 In front of Secretariat statue with statue of Pat Day in the back left:

No comments: