Friday, May 18, 2012

Garden 2012 Lesson 1

Tonight I Rhoda-tilled, Rhoda-tilled, and Rhoda-tilled the garden. It was back and forth multiple times in different directions to try to break up the soil. Last weekend I mowed the garden which tells you how bad of shape it was in.

Last fall I was out of the country for 16 days, soon after I had minor surgery, and soon after that Renae had knee surgery. We did no fall work in the garden and now we are paying for it. The grass and weeds over took last fall and it continued this spring. Had I taken care of the weeds and cleaned everything out last fall this spring would be better. Had I added compost last fall the soil would have broken up better this spring.

How many times in life do we think we can do something big without the necessary preparation. Let's do this mission trip but we need to prepare our hearts ahead of time. We can't just show up at the bus or plane. I think a lot of people enter relationships without having prepared for that role. It's just the thing to do.

So at the start of the season--wait, the start of this year's garden should have started months ago in September and October of 2011. Well at planting time I have great intentions for the garden this year. THIS YEAR I will keep up on the weeds. THIS YEAR while I will give some items away I will make good use of the harvest. THIS YEAR I will clean up the garden will in the fall to be ready for next year.

And that is the first lesson I've learned from my garden this year.

No comments: