Saturday, February 2, 2013

Dr. Bob

I'm sitting in a basically empty house watching it snow listening to the funeral of a man who I may not have had a lot of contact with but impacted me at important times in my life.

Dr. Bob and his family moved to central IL and his daughter was my student when she was in jr. high. She was the new kid but soon had many friends. Mandy's parents were probably some of the most encouraging parents I had in my teaching career. While I had more contact with Brenda through the years as she joined the PCS faculty and then stayed in my home as she commuted for her job, Dr. Bob was always had positive and encouraging comments.

I remember his talk about the various stages of grief when PCS went through a very difficult situation.

Dr. Bob was a great pastor to many, but I think an even greater tribute to him is that he was a great husband. He supported his wife in her academic and professional endeavors so that her gifts could be used to influence so many others.

Dr. Bob was also a great father. This is shown because his daughter married well as it appears she married a man so much like her father.

My friends, Brenda and Mandy, are grieving in ways I have never known. My heart grieves for them today as I listen as it has all week.

No comments: