Thursday, April 10, 2008

An E-mail String

Here is a string of e-mails from a student in my last class:

3/12/08

My wife and I had the second ultra-sound done today. It looks as though the original diagnosis is correct. We had some genetic testing done today, to see if we carry this in our genetic makeup or just a lightning strike that we have a baby with it. So it looks as though our baby will not live long after birth. I ask you to pray for Gods strength to handle what may come. Thanks.

3.13/08

I will try to keep you up-to-date with the things that are going on. My wife is due June 24, however my first child was born at 30 weeks, and my second was born at 35 weeks, so we are assuming sometime in May. We are going to let nature take its course with this one, as long as my wife stays healthy. If things take a turn, the doctors tell us they will do a c-section (my wife as already had two) and take our baby. We want to have as much time with him in the womb as possible, to get to know him.

Thanks again

4/9/08

I just wanted to let you know we went back to Grand Rapids today for a third ultra-sound. My wife Sue had a good check-up, except that she has gestational diabetes now, so she has to watch her diet for the next few weeks. We also met with the Doctors who will deliver our baby, and the ones who will take care of him once he is born. It looks as though he will get a type of hospice care, and stay by us until he passes away.

Thanks for your prayers and thoughts

3 comments:

Nog Blog said...

Do you know what is wrong with this baby? OB is a great place to work when the outcomes are perfect, but in a case like this it is very sad. I will pray that they have that special nurse, an understanding and compassionate doctor and some special moments with their baby and family.

Anonymous said...

Judy,

I'm not sure what is the problem except that it is a genetic issue. They found this out during the class I was teaching (4 weeks) and I didn't want to ask a lot of questions; I just let him tell what he wanted to.

He is a strong Christian and really seems to want to grow in His faith through this and have others see God through this as well.

Ann said...

Sounds like maybe a trisomy-18 defect? or something similar?