Friday, July 4, 2008

You Just Never Know

Last night I realized how little we often know about co-workers. Over the last few months I've been talking and becoming friends with a lady in the next department. Last night we went golfing at a short course near my home. It was fun as we are probably similar in abilities. The funny thing is that if she drove left, I drove right. On the next hole she'd drive right and I'd drive left. Anyway, I digress. Afterwards we ate a a local family restaurant--excellent chicken salad in a cantaloupe, but I digress yet again. In the course of conversation she told me that she has a daughter who was in a car accident and has severe brain damage as a result. For probably 12 years she lived about 2 1/2 hours away as they couldn't find a nice place close by for her. Apparently not too long ago they moved her back here to a new facility only a few miles from the mother's home. My friend needed to leave in order to stop by the home and visit the daughter before leaving for a week-long vacation.

I would never have known she has such a care in her life by our simple conversations at work.

No comments: