Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Vacation miscellaneous

Four quick observations during my trip.

1. When I landed in Atlanta, I walked to the luggage terminal--at least a mile--rather than take the train. As I ascended a long escalator a group of people stood at the top and started cheering as I walked off the escalator. It was so nice that people were excited to see me. Then I realized it was the USO and a soldier was two steps behind me. But I thought it was just a taste of heaven to have way better than the USO but family and friends and Jesus Christ to welcome me home.

2. I can see why kids like lacrosse. Who wouldn't want pads and a stick that you can hit other people and hit their sticks!!!

3. Yesterday I watched Molly play in her divisional doubles championship game. (She won.) I took a book I wanted to read called "What Do I Know About My God?" A group began playing on the court between where I was sitting and Molly's team was playing. In between serves one of the ladies in the closer court asked what I was reading. I told her the title and explained that it was a book to explain a way of studying the Bible so that you can know God more personally. She just looked at me. I wasn't sure which it was 1) You're reading a book about God??? or 2) Isn't that what studying the Bible is about anyway?

4. This morning I got up to see Ann and Mary Lee off to school. I went back to the couch, stretched out, and finished reading the paper. Of course, I fell asleep. Almost two hours later the phone rang. The caller left a message that explained he was calling from a funeral home and the visitation and funeral arrangements for someone. It seemed weird that he ended the message with a very happy Have a very nice day and we'll see you tomorrow night.

But I started thinking. Does a local funeral home call everyone with funeral arrangments? Do you call ahead to say let me know the arrangements for these people? Does the family give a list of phone numbers to call?

I guess I'll find out later today when I ask Ann.

No comments: