Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Running with the big dogs

Tonight I’m going to hear Max DePree, son of the founder of Herman Miller, Inc. and the former CEO, speak at Renae’s leadership class in her MBA program at GVSU. Several weeks ago she contacted Max about coming to speak at her class. Since he has written several books on leadership, including Leadership is an Art and Leadership Jazz, and the instructor had referenced him several times, Renae knew it would be really big if she could get Max to speak. His wife said he really didn’t do that type of thing anymore, but when Renae talked to Max he said, “Yes, I can do that.”

Renae took a challenge to contact Max and ask him to speak. Many times I’ve heard her say, “It’s free to ask.” I’m impressed that she took the initiative to work this out. It doesn’t surprise me, but I’m still proud of her.

Needless to say the instructor is really excited about Max DePree speaking in his class. He’s invited his other classes and other instructors to come as well.

Yesterday I was at a gathering of people who wrote and took pictures for the HMI annual employee newspaper Spirit. I was talking with the guy in charge of the project who also edited Max’s books. I told Clark I was reading Leadership is an Art and explained that I wanted to read before hearing Max tonight. Clark was shocked that Max would be doing this. He said, “Does your friend know Max? He doesn’t really do that kind of speaking any more.” He then began telling another guy about Max speaking at Renae’s class. That guy started talking about Max’s home, and then the CEO heard us (them) talking about Max’s home. He turned around to join the conversation. At that point, I was trapped and listened to a conversation that I really had nothing to contribute to yet was quite interested by what they were saying. So I tried to appropriately nod my head as they spoke. Plus I didn’t think it would look good for me to say Excuse me and duck between two of them to get out.

By the way, the CEO’s name is Brian not Brad, but that’s another story.

No comments: