Friday, October 31, 2008

The Wisdom of Students

On this day (October 31) in 1517 Martin Luther posted his 95 Theses on the door of the church at Wittenberg which began the start of the Protestant Reformation. Nine years ago I was teaching Seventh Grade World History. One of the test questions from this unit was “What did Martin Luther post on the church door at Wittenberg that started the Protestant Reformation?” I had a special needs student in class that answered “Upcoming Events”. I’m guessing he saw that posted on a bulletin board at his church.

Another of my favorite student test answers was when we were discussing the various religious groups and utopian communities such as the Amana Colonies and Brook Farm. One of the test questions was “What was the Mormon practice of having more than one wife?” One of my more unillustrious students answered, “Utopia”. Yeah, it was a boy.

No comments: