Friday, December 26, 2008

Day After Christmas

It's not quite Black Friday, but Molly and I left at 7:45 for the 9:00 opening of The Container Store. We were getting wrapping paper, bags, and ribbons for 50% off. I wish we had this store in west MI. From there it was off for a coffee at Starbucks and then to Swoozie's. They had a tent sale going so in addition to their Christmas stuff at 50% off there was quite a bit of other things for 40% off.

I bought three birthday gifts there and paid with my Discover card. Mary called while we were in the parking lot and said that she wanted some things I had told her about. I went back to get her items and gave my Discover card to pay for them. The clerk said, "We don't take Discover." I had to go out to Molly to get a card from her as I didn't have my purse with me with other cards so I got the receipt from the other bag I had purchased for them to re-run Molly's card for. The guy who had checked me out said, "Oh no, I just ran a Discover card." They were all really glad and somewhat surprised that I took the other receipt back.

I admit the thought crossed my mind that "Who would know?", "It's their fault," "The clerk should have know they don't take Discover,", etc., but it was the right thing to do.

However, wouldn't it have been good customer service to say, "Thanks for being honest, let us give you one of these free" after all I was buying six of the same thing?

No comments: