Friday, September 25, 2009

Aunt Ruth

Yesterday morning at work my father called with the news that my Aunt Ruth had died the previous evening. These are my rambling thoughts and memories of Auth Ruth.

Aunt Ruth had a unique personality—she was always dressed up and fancy I thought. She hailed back to the days when women dressed up to go shopping.

I vaguely remember visiting Uncle Jay and Aunt Ruth’s home in Chicago as a small child on a family trip to the big city. One Christmas at Uncle Perry’s home she pointed out to me when someone was feeding a baby how the feeder would open and close their mouth as she spooned the food into the baby’s mouth. I still see that.

As a devoted Cornhusker fan, we Alabama relatives and she went back and forth about Nebraska v. Alabama and the New Year’s Day bowl game. I’m pretty sure we had to call her after the game with our tail between our legs admitting defeat.

I interacted more with her in the last few years. In 1998 at the EJK reunion in Alabama I drove her and Uncle Jay to the Helen Keller home (along with Bruce and Elizabeth with little Matthew). We discussed my interest in learning to play golf, and we often talked about my taking clubs to Florida to play a round with Aunt Ruth. I’m quite sure she would have been disappointed in my golf abilities.

After Uncle Jay passed away in May 2004 I tried to call Aunt Ruth a few times a year. She was always excited about the occasional call and always seemed to remember what was going on in my life to ask about it.

In 2005 she visited my home in Michigan with my mother, Aunt Ada, and cousin Gloria for Tulip Time. She always talked about coming back. She was quite interested in Herman Miller and where I worked. The morning we went in to see my office she did was I was most afraid of—she took a picture of me with my co-workers. However, yesterday when I walked over to tell them about my phone call, they all remembered Aunt Ruth.

On that trip we were discussing how we both didn't care for the meet and greet time that many churches have early in their service. She said she didn't like being told to look at a neighbor beside them and say some phrase so she said looked at someone and said, "Howdy."

She had a great love for Uncle Jay, and the grief she had for so many years made me realize what great love a person can have for another. The last time I saw Aunt Ruth at my parents’ 50th anniversary a couple of years ago she sat with tears watching the slide show and was so glad I put in a picture of Uncle Jay.

Last night I sat in a church service looking through a hymnbook and read these lyrics:
When my life work is ended, and I cross the swelling tide,
When the bright and glorious morning I shall see;
I shall know my Redeemer when I reach the other side,
And His smile will be the first to welcome me.

Refrain
I shall know Him, I shall know Him,
And redeemed by His side I shall stand,
I shall know Him, I shall know Him,
By the print of the nails in His hand.

Oh, the soul thrilling rapture when I view His blessèd face,
And the luster of His kindly beaming eye;
How my full heart will praise Him for the mercy, love and grace,
That prepare for me a mansion in the sky.

Refrain

Oh, the dear ones in glory, how they beckon me to come,
And our parting at the river I recall;
To the sweet vales of Eden they will sing my welcome home;
But I long to meet my Savior first of all.

Refrain

Through the gates to the city in a robe of spotless white,
He will lead me where no tears will ever fall;
In the glad song of ages I shall mingle with delight;
But I long to meet my Savior first of all.

Refrain

Of course, I thought about Aunt Ruth who fewer than 24 hours before had experienced these very words.

She was a woman of strong faith, and I believe today she is in heaven in the presence of Jesus Christ, who loved her and gave Himself for her.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Very nice.

I had forgotten about the Alabama/Nebraska rivalry!