Sunday, October 25, 2009

I Met a Celebrity

This morning at church I met the co-founder of Liberty University. I was sitting in the lobby reading a book during Sunday School when a man walked in and asked if coffee was available. He asked if I was part of the church when Pastor Boger was there that he came to Vacation Bible School and got saved at church with Pastor Boger. Then he heard that Pastor Wood was at church. He had started another church with Pastor David Wood (a different Pastor Wood). Then came the clincher. He was visiting his mother at her nursing home when his wallet was stolen. He needed some money for gas. Yes, I was a bit concerned as my purse was on the floor. He started to go downstairs for coffee when he came back and told me that he founded Liberty University with Jerry Falwell. He pulled out a couple chains from his shirt and said he had this jewelry but his wallet was stolen with all his credit cards.

He cornered another man on his way downstair asking for money. Apparently he told his story to several others before coming back upstairs. He told one man that his wallet had just been stolen at Rainbow Grill, but the man told him that Rainbow Grill isn't open on Sunday so there's no way his wallet was stolen. The guy was rather loud.

He finally walked out but was catching people walking in telling them his wallet was stolen. Then he got in his car and sat for awhile.

Finally a man from my church got his vehicle tag number and called the police. They came within about five minutes and the office started talking to the guy. He turned to the guy from my church and said, "He's ok." The man from church walked in frustrated saying that the guy was either high or on drugs. The officer kept talking to the guy and looking at ID. Apparently he had a wallet to show the officer his ID.

Another officer drove up and took over at the driver's side while the first office went over to the passenger side. In a minute or so he got a young boy out of the car and took him to the police car.

At that point I was very torn between continuing to watch and going into church as it was about to start. I opted for church so I don't know the outcome.

My guess is that the guy was high so the officers took the child away for his safety. Who knows what happened to either the child or the guy?

I've had enough of 911 calls for a long, long time!

No comments: