Sunday, December 13, 2009

Dollar Tree-the Good and the Bad

This weekend I made a stop at the local Dollar Tree. In the toy aisle I heard two kids about 6 years old say, "I wish we could two things instead of just one."

That reminded me of my nieces and nephews. When they visited Grandma and Papa/K-Daddy in AL, we would make a trip to the Dollar Tree. They each got $1 to buy one thing. Some knew exactly what they wanted and found it right away, but I will always remember spending long amounts of time for Lindsey to find the perfect thing. Everything was cheap and typically broken by the next day, but every one had a good time with their special item for 24 hours or so.

There was a couple with the two kids at Dollar Tree who I assumed with their parents. I began talking with them about taking our kids to Dollar Tree. They said their two would beg to go to Dollar Tree and they also got only $1.

This part made me sad : The little boy said to the man, "Hey, Derrick." That made me think the man was Mom's boyfriend and apparently a split family. I realize there are several possible explanations of why the boy would call the man by his first name, but I'm guessing I'm correct. Then the boy continued. "This says it bounces high. When you go out to smoke cigarettes, we could take this outside. . ." and by then I was far enough away I couldn't hear. How sad, that this little boy thinks nothing at all about this man who he apparently wants to be around has to go out to smoke.

No comments: