Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Giving it my all

Today I signed up on the bone marrow donor registry. The donor group came to work today asking people to sign up which means give 3 vials of blood for typing and matching and “donate” $25. As I walked to the room I thought of all the people I know who have had bone marrow transplants so I could think of doing this to honor them, and I could come up with only one name: Roy Lowrie. I’m sure I must know more.

Not to overspiritualize, but I think there’s something noble about giving blood and donating bone marrow since the life of the flesh is in the blood (Leviticus 17:11) and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins (Hebrews 9:22). Every time I donate blood I’m reminded of Jesus shedding his blood for me.

So I now have 1 chance in 125 to match with someone until I’m age 61. That seemed higher than I would’ve thought, but not too high to keep me from signing up.

No comments: