Monday, June 28, 2010

Family Reunion

This weekend I spent some time in Ft. Wayne, IN where my father had organized the 2nd Worldwide (Really National) Klopfenstein Family Reunion. Besides seeing my father (missed my mom being there!), here are a few things that made the weekend really enjoyable:

1. Meeting a lady who now lives in Kendallville, IN but retired from my company about 14 years ago. She married a Klopfenstein a few years ago after her first husband died.
2. Meeting a couple who live only 20 miles or fewer from me. Her maiden name was Klopfenstein.
3. Hearing a young man from RI tell about having so many questions as a child about where his family came from. During the afternoon program he said, "Last night I ate dinner with an uncle I've never met, and yesterday I saw a picture of my grandfather for the first time."
3. Seeing the sheer wonderment on a 7-year old from PA's face when she won a door prize of 20 $1 bills. She held the stack of money with a look on her face that said, "Oh, I'm rich. I'm rich. I won, I won, I won!" It was classic.
5. Visiting with an old friend of my parents in the nursing home. Dad said that I was there so as I shook his hand I reminded him that I was the youngest just in case that helped spark a memory. He took awhile to answer and then said with a twinkle in his eye, "Well, they saved the best for last, huh?"

No comments: