Friday, October 15, 2010

It's ormanent time!

Tomorrow is ormanent (sic) day and one my very favorite get ready for Christmas things to do.  In 1987 I bought Andrew a rocking horse ornament and every since then it's been a rocking horse ornament for him.  With every new niece or nephew I chose a new item to get them.   Typically I send it around Thanksgiving time so they can hang it that year.

MaryLee--angel
Lauren--teddy bear
Lindsey--snowman
JM--gingerbread man
Jeffrey--stocking
Lindsay--greenery (wreath, tree, etc.)
Whitney--star
Jaimie--bell
Haley--candy cane

Originally I wanted to do nutcrackers for Andrew and I'm not sure why I didn't, but every time I choose a new one I realize I still haven't done nutcrackers.  Surprisingly the rocking horse is the hardest to find.

I like to try to do them in the same style each year if possible, and I always write the year on them some way and usually their name as well.

Today I texted all of the nieces and nephew who out of high school to see about this tradition.  I love to do it, but maybe they are starting to feel too old for an ornament.  I'm glad they all quickly replied that they liked it and wanted to keep getting them.  Several graciously said they thought it may be a lot for me to do, but I really love this tradition.

So tomorrow I'm off to Bronner's.  Maybe next week there will be a picture of this year's ornaments.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Enjoyed this blog entry, as each year since my 1st grandchild was born I've made or bought an ornament for every one of the grandchildren. (there are now 8) I've saved them, rather than give them to them, so that when each starts their first home, they will have a box of ornaments to start their new life with. I've randomly chosen each year, rather than choose a theme for each child. If they were playing soccer, for example, that year there would be a soccer ornament. If a guitar was being learned, that year a music note or the instrument would be added to the child's box. Each ornament is labeled with a gold permanent marker...just initials and the year, so they know it was a personal gift.