Sunday, January 30, 2011

Kitchen Project

OK, here are the pictures of my home project. Soon after Christmas I had to replace a flourescent light bulb in the kitchen. When I pushed back the light tile I saw that the framework "up there" was finished off. I started thinking about how I could make a tray ceiling out of it and hopefully make my galley kitchen seem a bit bigger if at least part of the ceiling was higher.

Here is what it looked like to begin with:

This is with most of the drop ceiling removed. I still had the framework around the base to take out. Because the drywall wasn't originally exposed, the builders didn't tape and mud very well. I spent several evenings spackling and sanding to make the middle seam appear smooth. It was also difficult to pop the covers off the lights.

In the middle of the project. I needed to put the plastic higher, but I did clean off all the cabinets with Murphy's oil soap afterwards. Area is sanded and primed here.

New lights. The ceiling appears blue but it's white.

And the finished product:
While I did a lot of the work myself, everyone knows not much gets done without Renae. She helped with the crown moulding and hanging the lights.

5 comments:

Ann said...

It is beautiful!

prl said...

Wow,looks really good. Impressive on the crown molding too.

LynnK said...

Looks like a "good job--well done." Your energy and patience has paid a neat reward.
You need some rest after that project!

marym said...

Looks great, Rhoda. Your creativity, perseverance and hard work are impressive - as well as the beautiful results!

Inspector Clouseau said...

Nice work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the blue Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing.