Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Financially (Ir)-responsibility

First, this morning on the news as I was slowly trying to wake up the local channel reported that last year Pres. Obama asked for $300 million for cleanup of the Great Lakes. Congress returned with $475 million for the initiative but only about $225 million has been funded. For 2012 Obama is requesting $350 million and calling it a spending cut because it is less than $475 million.

I don't get it. If only $225 million has been spent than only budgeting less than that can be a "spending cut".

Second, if spending has increased exponentially for two years and now we freeze spending at that level, how does that help us?

If I make $1000/month but increase my spending to $2000 a month and then say I'll freeze my spending at that level, I'm not helping myself.

Am I oversimplifying this?

No comments: