Monday, December 5, 2011

Paying It Forward

Tonight a man from church came with his daughter to help me fix a few things at my house. My toilet was wobbly and the kitchen garbage disposal needed to be replaced. The daughter said she likes to help her father out.

A plus for me was that I got to make 3 trips to Gemmen's, the most wonderful hardware store, to get various parts. Another man from church said it's impossible to do a job without 3 trips to Gemmen's.

When he was finished I was ready to settle up for him. He was very noncommittal about a price but finally said an amount that was actually was I was hoping it would be. As I wrote the check I added $10 and told him to take the daughter for a little treat for her help. He said he was splitting it with her to apply to a mission trip the two of them are taking later this winter to Mexico.

Seeing the daughter helping out her father reminded me of working with Dad around home, church, and school so I was already touched to see them work together. Thinking of the spending time together on a mission trip meant a lot to me as well.

God has blessed me recently and because of some recent gifts and work I was able to give them significantly more than the sum he had mentioned. I hope it blesses them as much as I was blessed writing out that check.

No comments: