Sunday, May 13, 2012

Random Mother's Day Thoughts

1. I like attending a church that celebrates the church calendar instead of the Hallmark calendar. Many churches make a day like today so awkward for non-mothers (sometimes with the token--all ladies mother in someway or we all have a mother), that for many years I just didn't go to church on Mother's Day. Yes, Mother's Day was mentioned this morning acknowledging the day but the entire service wasn't focused on it.

2. Hooters really planned a promotion around Mother's Day???  Seriously, "Bring your mother to Hooter's for Mother's Day!" What would be more awkward?

3. I cooked "Mother's Day" dinner for Renae and her mother last night because I couldn't cook for my own mother this weekend. I prayed for them before the meal and tried to ask God to bless my mother as well but it made me miss her too much.

4. Each of my sister's (Ann, Mary, and Molly) are great mothe's in their own way. From them I've learned something about parenting--helping a child learn independence, letting a child express their creativity, not having to birth a child to love them with a mother's love, etc.  I'm glad they are the mothers of my nieces and nephews--who as they grow up I think realize how good they have it because of these special women.

No comments: