Monday, April 8, 2013

Square Foot Gardening Pt. 1

With a smaller back yard I am making a switch to gardening this year and trying the square foot gardening (SFG) method. I am not completed but wanted to share what I've done so far as I'm very excited about it.

Here are most of the supplies ready to go.

 

 Maybe not a conventional way of doing so but here I'm building one of two 4x4 boxes. I was working on it alone and wasn't sure of how to do it but this worked for me.
 

 This is one box completed. The author says if you don't have the grid it isn't really SFG.

Saturday I leveled out part of the yard, put down the landscape fabric, and placed both boxes.

The next step is to make the "soil" mix, but all of the items are dry so the book recommends not doing it on a windy day. Of course, now that I'm ready to mix it we are having 15-25 mile winds with higher gusts so am having to wait to mix it. I may end up mixing it in the garage but then that means making multiple trips to the backyard with 5 gallon buckets of the mix so not real excited about that.

More updates coming as the process continues.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Looks great!! Can you come build me some?!!

rk2 said...

Absolutely if you are serious and buy the supplies! I may try to come this spring.