Thursday, June 27, 2013

My Take on Paula Deen and Her Sponsors

I have never been a Paula Deen fan. In fact when visiting Savannah last fall with my mother I really had no desire to go to her restaurant which apparently is like going to NYC and not wanting to see the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty.

I think she has said some stupid things in her career. We all have. However, she marketed herself as a big character and wanted a big stage so her mistakes and wrongs play out there as well.

My bigger question is to her sponsors who are dropping her so quickly. Has the Food Network vetted all of its personalities for their past comments? Does Target, who is "assessing" their relationship with Deen, sell any music or movies with the "n" word included? Both questions apply to QVC.

When one makes themselves big, they fall hard. However, a fall always has a path to redemption. Maybe Deen needs to be out of the public eye, but so do the musicians and actors who say exactly what she has said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes!!

Sue's Crazy Life said...

Well said My feelings exactly and I am not a Paula Deen "fan" either. She has some good looking recipes but so does Pinterest and tons of blogs. But to do all this to her for something which I was told was said 20 years ago come on. I'd hate to have everything I've said over the past 20 years be that scrutinized. We all mess up at some time in our lives.