Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Books I Read in 2013

My time of unemployment was beneficial in that I spent more time reading books than I have for years. I got a library card soon after my move and while the Little Elm library is small I found a suitable variety to keep me motivated to read.

Sum It Up Pat Summit--a gift from my good friend Jayne, from Handbells, who knows I love all things Pat Summit.

Calico Joe John Grisham--an ok read but his legal books are much better

Killing Kennedy Bill O'Reilly--even more enjoyable to read after my move to Dallas. I really enjoyed a conservatives positive perspective on Kennedy and was surprised by it.

True Believer Nicholas Sparks--a fiction fluff book but good to read in the pool

Unbroken Laura Hillenbrand--a book I wanted to read for quite awhile but never did. Excellent, excellent, excellent, but difficult to take in as well. Another recommendation from Jayne, from handbells.

A Walk in the Woods Bill Bryson--I checked this out based on a recommendation on our extended family blog by my cousin's daughter. My cousin is enamored with the Appalachian Trail and we discussed this book when she visited. An administrator from a previous school is planning a hike of the trail as a fundraiser for scholarships for this school. It has been interesting reading his blog to have read this book and have some knowledge of the Trail.

The Circle Maker Mark Batterson--an excellent read at a time when I need to make specific prayer petitions and hold to those. I was very encouraged by the thought that God had already had provided a job for me, but I needed to go through the steps to get to that job.

Angels Watching Over Me Michael Phillips--a free book on Kindle recommended by a friend on facebook. I read while at the lake this summer--a good book for vacation reading about a black and a white girl whose lives are brought together just after the Civil War.

1000 Gifts Ann Voskamp--call me a heretic but I had a difficult time getting into her writing style. Great concept but a difficult plod for me to get through. However, after a certain point I made myself finish it.

gods at war Kyle Idleman--another excellent book about how we put good things into a higher priority than they should be. Highly recommend. 

Sycamore Road John Grisham--yes, he is my favorite fiction writer. I listened to this on my Thanksgiving drive. I think it is one of my favorites of his.

Gifted Hands Ben Carson--very interesting autobiography of this surgeon whose illiterate mother forced her poor minority children to understand the importance of an education and built in them a strong work ethic.

During the year I tried to read David Copperfield and despite checking it out the maximum 3 times (9 weeks), I just couldn't get through it.
I also realize I read another fluff book with December in the title, but I didn't put it on my list.

2 comments:

Ann said...

I've never gotten into DAVID COPPERFIELD either, though I do like GREAT EXPECTATIONS. The UNBROKEN book looks interesting!

mim said...

I'm very impressed.