Sunday, December 22, 2013

My Take on Phil Robertson


Just over a year ago I started watching Duck Dynasty. I like it; I can’t take a marathon of it, but I like watching the new shows. One of my favorite parts of an episode that I would watch multiple times is when Phil’s grandson John Luke wants to take his girlfriend out on the river in Phil’s boat. Phil goes along as a very uninvited guest. On the boat ride he explains all to John Luke about proper dating and what to do and not to do on a date.

Phil has a great story—college football quarterback who decides he’d rather hunt than practice football so he gives up his starting spot to none other than Terry Bradshaw who goes on to win multiple Super Bowls in the NFL. He’s a man with a sinful past but found God’s love, grace, and redemption in salvation.

Here’s my problem with Phil. Phil is coarse and vulgar. I’ve tried to think of the men in my family, friends, and co-workers for the past 30 years, and I’ve worked with unbelievers in an athletic setting. I cannot think of any man who had any character about him who would have talked the way Phil did especially in such a public venue as a magazine with many subscribers. He didn’t have to say what he did. He could have made a statement of his beliefs without his crudeness. I think he violated Colossians 4:6—Let your speech be always with grace. . .”.

But he did say what he did.

A former student “liked” a blog post that a friend of hers posted on Facebook. I thought this person explained well why Phil said what he did.

The reason that Phil Robertson “equated” homosexuality with adultery, drunkenness, and beastiality is because to him it’s all the same. It’s all against what God teaches us in His Word…which is sin. It’s black and white…no room for gray. He drew a line in what his faith teaches…so is that bad? For those of you who feel like Christians are intolerant, take a look in the mirror first. Are you intolerant of Christianity? TRUE Christians love everyone. It doesn’t matter your race, sexual orientation, beliefs, or the family you are from…there is no justification of hate toward anyone!


So, let’s get REALLY real- I can bet we all make the list in 1 Corinthians as those who will not inherit the Kingdom of God. Let’s take a look at a few: Have you ever put something above God? You are an idolater. Have you ever stolen anything? You are a thief. Have you ever had a little too much to drink and gotten slammed? You are a drunkard. Ever had sex outside of the marriage covenant? You are sexually immoral. Like I said, let’s get REAL! I am guilty as guilty gets, but there is GREAT news: JESUS came and died for all of these things! THAT IS WHAT TRUE CHRISTIANITY IS ABOUT!!! JESUS!!! Nothing else. If you try and take Christ out of Christianity and instead, insert your moral code you are fooling yourself. Take a look at what Romans 5:8 – “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” WOW that’s good news!

So because of JESUS, I am no longer on the list. Apart from Him I am the epitome of the list– stuck in sin and shame. But because Jesus saves me from sin and death, I can rejoice that God the Father looks at me and sees Jesus instead of my broken, sinful self. All glory to Jesus!

http://chasegentes.wordpress.com/2013/12/19/is-phil-robertson-a-real-christian/

 I also thought this post by Perry Noble was quite good if you have time to read a longer post.
http://perrynoble.com/blog/duck-dynasty-homosexuality-and-political-correctness
I don’t have the answer, and I’m already tired of the discussion.

So why did I just add to it???

No comments: