Wednesday, June 17, 2015


Brussel sprouts, papaya and dewlicious. Two foods I’ve have before and one I’d never seen before. I’ve tried all three in the past few weeks in my efforts to expand my palate.


Brussel sprouts. I’ve had these twice before and didn’t like them either time. I’m a texture eater which made me think I would like them, but the ones I had were boiled. Not good. I put a request out on facebook to find out how others make them. I tried five of the six recipes I was sent one Sunday for dinner. I made several variations on the various recipes as I could have easily spent over $50 just on ingredients that I may or may use again. The recipes called for an assortment of honey, balsamic vinegar, shallots, maple syrup, thyme, oregano and bacon. Lots of bacon. I liked them. They are a definite do again, but only one recipe at a time.

Dewlicious. This is a bright yellow melon. The convenience of smart phone let me google it at the store to find out what a dewlicious is. Today I took a slice to work for my afternoon snack. Sweet. Very sweet. It’s a definite buy again.

Papaya. Sunday afternoon I remember why I haven’t eaten any since I was in the Domincan Republic in 1993. I knew I didn’t care for it but thought I would maybe like it again. I bought a papaya to make papaya smoothies. Sunday afternoon was the day. Papaya, strawberries, pineapple, orange juice and ice. Let’s just say for the next 3 hours with a portion of that hugging the toilet, I remembered why I don’t eat fresh papaya.

Three new foods for me. Two were great; one not so much.

Are there any foods you would like to adventure to try?

 

1 comment:

Ann said...

I don't do new foods very well. But the melon, and the Brussels sprouts with bacon sound great!