Thursday, August 20, 2009

Flashback to 1977

This morning some research consultants came in to take some measurements for a couple of people in the department who are part of a product test. They pulled out one of these, and I was a bit startled. Jokingly I said, “You know they make these measuring tapes now that will curl right up into a nice container and you can pull it in for measuring.” They laughed but explained why they like the wooden one better since it stays straight and doesn’t bend and turn. It makes sense.

I had a flashback to the summer of 1977 when Richard Frost headed up building two portable classrooms behind our church for a new Christian school. I was fascinated watching him work (I, like a lot of other people, can watch others work for a long time!), and even got in on pounding a few nails myself and staining woodwork. I was also most fascinated watching him do the concrete for the sidewalk. Although I have no idea how old he was then, he always seemed old to me—after all his “lags” kept tiring out.

No comments: