Friday, December 9, 2011

The Nutcracker

Tonight I went to The Nutcracker for the first time. I went in not expecting to like it a lot because several people have said they saw it once and that was enough for them. However, I really enjoyed it. The dream sequence got a bit long but the gracefulness combined with strength was very enjoyable. It was also good to put a visual with the music I'd heard often. I was glad I'd read the storyline in the program before the performance began.

The downside: People find you seat on time. If it's in the middle of a long row, don't wait until 7:29 much less 7:32 for a 7:30 start. If your child is too young to stay up until 9:30 p.m. so that you have to walk out with them at a critical point, then wait until your child is older to bring them or take them to a matinee. If your infant is likely to have a blowout requiring you to leave and then return during critical parts, find a baby sitter or stay home until the infant is old enough to watch. (see previous sentence) And lastly, if you absolutely must leave and return, know which row you are sitting in so you don't have to look down every aisle and go back and forth doing so.

Can you tell that our view was interrupted numerous time throughout the performance?

I may not want to go next year, but I would definitely go again.

3 comments:

Ann said...

I saw it once (last year) and that was enough for me. I'm one of those people. :-)

MLK said...

I'm one of those people also. Saw it at Furman University with Ann and her friend. Guess I enjoyed seeing Furman as much as The Nutcracker. After hearing about Nutcracker for many years, I was glad to finally see it, but once is enough. Thanks, Nancy P, for the ticket.

Jayne, from bells said...

LoveLoveLove the Nutcracker. I don't, but I could see it every year. Grand Rapids Ballet puts on an exceptionally good performance.