Thursday, May 30, 2013

Square Foot Garden pt. 3

 
This is the current state of the square foot garden. I've made a few additions. I was using tomato cages I made in Michigan out of pvc, but I brought only 2. The trellis is official SFG but I had assumed it would be expensive to do and felt I'd spent enough on the boxes and mix. However, the electrical conduit, rebar, and nylon trellis roping was actually quite cheap.
 
 
I had a lovely purple pepper forming when it was suddenly gone. Apparently the abundant number of rabbits in the neighborhood started looking at my garden as a smorgasbord. I then added the rabbit fencing with the stakes at the corner. It is not SFG official.
 
I have five tomato plants in with one being a cherry tomato. I had planted a cherry tomato in a pot earlier but now realize it is a yellow tomato. In my mind tomatoes are meant to be red. I also have four pepper plants--a green, a yellow, and orange, and a purple. Two squares have beans (9 per square) and 6 squares have okra (1 per square).
 
I also added four zinnias as I thought they looked so nice at the nursery and I like the color.
 




2 comments:

MLK said...

Looks like Dad and I visited you three weeks too early to see your growing SFG. Guess we'll have to visit again!

rk2 said...

Yes, please do!!! Soon!